Ubuntu is a flavor of Linux that has been used in past online rounds of the CyberPatriot competition. Teams may find it helpful to download a clean (i.e. without configured vulnerabilities) image of Ubuntu with which to practice (the link can be found below). To create an Ubuntu 12.04 image.
- Download an ISO file from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Ubuntu-Precise-Pangolin-Download-76997.html
- Open VMware Player. Select "Create a New Virtual Machine."
- Select "Installer disc image file (iso)." Browse to the ISO you downloaded. Click "Next."
- Enter a name, user name, and password. Click "Next." Name the Virtual Machine. Click "Next."
- Unless you wish to assign more hard drive space to the image, click "Next." Click "Finish."
- Wait for Ubuntu to install in the Virtual Machine. Log into the Virtual Machine using the credentials you created.
The following resources may help teams as they train on the Linux operating system during the competition.
For an additional resource on learning Ubuntu and to see how to configure password policy in the operating system, see
this YouTube video
created by Texas A&M University Corpus Christi on a National Science Foundation grant.
Other LINUX FLAVORS
CyberPatriot has not used other Linux flavors in the online rounds of previous seasons. However, this may not be the case with future versions of the CyberPatriot Competition System (CCS). Stay tuned to this page for more information. You can also check out www.distrowatch.com
for practice images of, and information on, other Linux distributions such as Fedora, Mint, Debian, etc.
General Linux Resources
The following resources may be useful for training with all Linux flavors.